One womans journey to find herself and make the most out of life






Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A Backwoods 4th, Well 3rd

I was really looking forward to a nice relaxing weekend away in North Carolina at my aunt and uncle's cabin, however, it started off a little rough. I left Thursday afternoon after class which was about 330. I was driving for nearly 3 hours when I felt something wrong with the steering wheel. It was shaking like crazy. So to be safe I pulled over to a Wal-mart and the guy told me if I had kept driving the tire would have blown. I'm glad I didn't keep driving but it stunk that I had to wait for 2 hrs for them to fix it. I didn't leave Savannah, GA until 9! I decided to stay at my aunt and uncle's condo near Jacksonville, FL because I was so tired. So I got there about 11. I didn't sleep very well and maybe got about 3 hrs of sleep. I was up at 6 and was at least able to be awarded with a beautiful sunrise. I haven't been up early to watch a sunrise in a long time. I left the condo at about 8 and met my mom and brother about an hrs drive away. My brother and I then drove up to Murphy, NC. We drove pretty much all day on Friday. We hit lots of traffic and got to see a car on fire. We finally made it to Murphy at about 530 and sat around eating pizza and watching tv. My aunt and uncle had not arrived yet. They got there Saturday afternoon.

Sunrise on the Island
I spent most of the day on Saturday outside enjoying the nice cool mountain breeze. I also am allergic to dogs so being around 4 dogs all the time makes it difficult for me to breathe. For dinner that night we went to the local Mexican restaraunt. I had flautas and a Corona. Yum! We came back and played Farkle which is a rather pathetic game if you ask me, and maybe its because I lost both times.

On Sunday I dropped my car off at Wal-mart to get the final two tires on my car changed so I didn't have to worry about them blowing up on me. While they were working on that my brother and uncle and I went and bought some fireworks. That night we set them off. It wasn't the same thing as the big boom ones but hey I will take it. We also went swimming in the river near the cabin. The water was so cold, but also extremely refreshing.

Smoky Mountains
Our stash of fireworks
The newest addition: Seamus

A computer firework!
 Monday I hung around for breakfast and lunch, but knew my time had to be cut short. I left around 1 pm and returned to Myrtle Beach at 7. I was fortunate not to have traffic on the 4th! I guess I will always travel on the exact holiday to avoid traffic. I also got to find out that my brother went back to the hospital for another collapsed lung. It's sad he didn't get to celebrate the 4th and has to spend his week away in the hospital.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know they got ANOTHER dog. If they get anymore, they could start a zoo.

    ReplyDelete