One womans journey to find herself and make the most out of life






Friday, July 15, 2011

All In a Day's Journey

I've decided never to plan ahead on things again. My random trips are just that, random. Spontaneous. I thought that today I could drive up to N.Carolina and take a ferry over to Bald Head Island, which I have been dying to go to. The island does not allow cars which is awesome. I was also looking forward to this thing called "Howl at the moon". Apparently all the people who are on the island on the day of the full moon, (which apparently on their events calendar is tonight) get together on the local beach, eat a potluck dinner, and when the moon begins to rise everyone howls at the moon. I added said activity to my bucket list a few days ago and was eager to participate in said event. However, when I arrived at the ferry station they said they only take reservations and that I needed to call at least 3 days in advance. Bummer!! I drove an hour and a half just to get there for nothing. My choice could be to explore the surrounding area and go to the beach. Luckily I had my swimsuit with me.

The area I was first at was called Southport. I had driven there once last summer on a whim. I walked around and admired the gorgeous houses on the beach that I could never afford. I walked down to the docks and watched the sailboats. (Very windy day today). After about 45 minutes of that I left and drove to a park called Carolina Beach State Park and was very disappointed. All they had were hiking trails and a boat launch, but no beach. So on I drove and landed in Kure Beach. Exactly the thing I was looking for. The town was primarily privately owned houses on the beach, no hotels or real touristy places. Lots of houses were bright beachy colors and were so awesome. I drove around trying to find a place to park and was fortunate to find a near vacant lot. I did however have to pay the meter. I was at the beach for almost 1 1/2 hours before the terrential rainfall. Everyone was scurrying about, to get to their homes and cars. I was starving and noticed when I drove in this little burger joint, called "Beach Burger Shack". There was no restaurant part, you just walked up to the window and ordered your food. Let me tell you it was one of the best burgers I have had in a long time. I also got a cherry Italian ice which was delish also. Then I figured the rain wasn't going to let up and decided to head back. Of course when I cross the border into S. Carolina it was no longer raining and there wasn't a cloud in the sky! All in all I'd say I made the most out of a trip that started off on a bad note.

Yes taking a picture while driving is bad!

Southport, NC

Some fancy historic house

My small, but delish Italian ice

No comments:

Post a Comment