One womans journey to find herself and make the most out of life






Monday, August 30, 2010

Why are men creeps?

Where do I begin? In the past few months I have encountered some random and weird strange men. They come up to me and start talking about random crap that is not of any interest to me or that ask me for my phone number or ask me if I have a boyfriend. There was this one man a couple of months ago who happened to be walking around the Walgreen's parking lot. I was waiting for the redbox machine to not be in use, seen as I wanted to rent a video. This man comes up to me and starts talking to me. He noticed that I was from Wisconsin and we started talking about that. He was a nice guy up until the point where he invited me down to the beach, even after I clearly was no interested in him and was clearly there to get a video. Not only was that weird he was probably in his 40's. Then today I was walking out of the grocery store (I was getting some cold medicine and soup since I'm not feeling very well today.) this guy comes out of nowhere and asks me for my number. I said no and kept walking he kept following. He asked me why not, I said because I'm really sick and have to get back home. He asked me if I had a boyfriend I said yes I do (even though thats a complete lie). Then he walked away. He also was quite a bit older looking. I don't want to sound rascist here and I know I will, but both of those encounters were with black men. I am rarely encountered by a white man who does that. I am a little creeped out when these things happen, but usually I just laugh and go about my day. Today however, I really want an explanation. I've lived in the south now for just barely over a year. I've learned plenty of differences between the south and the north. But there is this one thing in common black men always 'hollerin' at women. I don't think they care what race the women are but it seems to me it happens all the time. I know the simple answer is to say well thats the way they were brought up or that's just their ethnicity/background/culture whatever you want to call it. Thats probably all very well and true, but not all of them are like that. Many of them are very respectful to women and don't holler at us, so what happened to the rest of them? I don't want to just single out the black man, because I'm sure men of all races do it, I just don't get hit on by 40 something plus white, asian, hispanic, latino or any other race of men, but black men. It kind of creeps me out. I shouldn't have to be walking around pretending to have a boyfriend or wearing a fake ring on my finger just in case a creep walks up to me and asks me for my number. Someone needs to explain this to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment