One womans journey to find herself and make the most out of life






Monday, August 23, 2010

Another Year Older...Another Year Wiser

I'd like to believe that's true, but I don't think it is. I actually feel like I'm getting dumber as I get older. I'm still in school, so I'm still learning and reading and getting an education, but I don't feel like I'm getting wiser, at least not in the education department.

22 years young! Thats how old I am today! Another year older another year wiser. I'd like to think I've matured some in the past year, but have still kept my child-like antics. I've learned to let things from the past go and stay in the past. I've forgiven a lot of people who deserved it and probably have waited to long for it. I think in the past year of realized who my friends are and who aren't my friends. I've learned some more about myself and what I like and don't like. I've also learned that I hate hot weather and will never choose to live in a terribly hot place, not intentionally at least. I've learned that some days are bad and some days are good and many days in between, but you got to take each one as they come. I've learned that I've been blessed with great friends and a pretty decent family. I've learned that you have to tell those you love you love them everytime you see them, since it could be the last chance you get. I've learned that making tons and tons of money isn't going to give you happiness. Do what you love and do it honestly. Do what you are passionate about and don't worry about the money side of things. Don't get me wrong that helps, but it shouldn't be the central focus of why you are doing your job. I've learned that sometimes you have to break out of your shell and comfort zone to find out who you are. Learning and participating in something you aren't familiar with allows you to view the world from a new perspective. I've learned that sometimes you have to take a roadtrip even if its just an hour away...you don't know what you will find along the way or once you get there, but even if you don't find a thing, just saying you've been there is pretty cool none-the-less. I've learned that being alone for a significant amount of time can make you go crazy, but it also can give you much needed time to self-reflect. It also allows you to just be you without others influencing your decisions. It also makes a person yearn for company, whether its a close friend, a family member or just a stranger at the beach. I've learned how to cook some basic things, but thats the foundation for the more difficult delicious things. I've learned that good health is a valuable thing and a wonderful blessing and it should never be taken for granted. This includes me directly, my asthma attacks...as well as my cousin who passed from cancer. I've learned that sometimes you try to be the best person you can and the best friend you can and sometimes it doesn't measure up. You aren't meant to get along with every person in the world, its just not possible. Some people are going to love you for who you are and are going to accept you. Other people want you to change on behalf of them, but at all cost don't do it. It's not worth getting yourself hurt or feeling lost, confused, lonely or guilty afterwards. Be yourself and the rest will fall into place. I've learned to be happy with who I am, regardless of my fault and flaws. I'm not always honest or open. I'm not a very mean person openly, but can be a cold hearted bitch behind a person's back. I don't like confrontation and avoid drama at all costs. Life's to short to complain and freak out about the stupidest things. I'm sensitive to certain things and I will cry if I have to. I'm not demanding or seeking to be the center of attention. I've made mistakes and I've stumbled a few times. I'd hate to say I've had a few regrets, but I have. But those choices made me who I am right now at this moment. I've had some of the best memories through my first few years of college. I was right where I was supposed to be. Looking back now, I think the right choice would have been staying, but I can't change the past...all I can do is look into the futue and know that God is directing me down the right path and I just have to trust him. I've learned that love comes in all shapes and sizes. You have to grab it when it comes or it might be lost forever. I don't believe in soulmates. I believe you have to be really good friends with someone before true love has a chance to grow. Sometimes you think you love someone but they don't love you or perhaps you realized you didn't love them as much as you thought. Sometimes love has nothing to do with a man and a woman or marriage, but love of a brother, sister, friend, cousin, mother, father, etc. Sometimes you don't realize you are giving out your love until days, weeks, months down the road. Give your love as much as possible and you may change a few lives. Thats a truly great feeling. Trust you gut and your instincts and trust God. Be happy as much as you can be. Learn something new. Read a book or something thats really hard to read. Attend a football game. Cheer for your favorite team. Love with all of your heart. Don't be afraid to take a wrong turn and another. Take chances and risks. Go some place that terrifies you, because you are there alone or its foreign. Talk to a stranger, they may surprise you. Take some time for yourself because you didn't earn it...you deserve it. Spend a day doing absolutely nothing or spend it doing the thing you love most. Enjoy the simple pleasures in life: a good nights sleep, getting a handwritten letter in the mail, warm towels fresh from the dryer, an ice cream cone, eating a piece of chocolate or seeing a little child smile and giggle. Dance in the rain just because you can and who cares if you look like a complete idiot doing it. Have a snowball fight in south carolina, because you wouldnt expect snow there and it may not happen again anytime soon. Sing in your car and bop your head to the music. Make fun of silly canadians who can't drive very well. Find the simple joys of your life. Enjoy them as much as possible. Live each day to the fullest. Remember above all things: Keep God at the center of your life, the center of everything you do and you can't go wrong. Thank him everyday for everything. You will be blessed more than you could ever imagine.

I think that sums up my year nicely and gives you a little bit of my new found wisdom!

No comments:

Post a Comment