One womans journey to find herself and make the most out of life






Tuesday, May 31, 2011

What am I?

Today in my class my professor brought up a point about finding out who you are. We are discussing huge issues like should smoking be allowed, etc. As we sit and discuss both sides of the issue, it got me thinking about my own values and beliefs. This stretches beyond just whether I believe smoking is bad for you or not, its about abortion, alcohol, etc. I begin to question where I stand on all these issues. I begin to question who I am. I know that many people continuously change their beliefs after researching a topic and as they being to understand more about the issue. People learn as much as they can about their opposition to help them further their arguments. I know how I feel about certain issues, but if I were to go around telling people they shouldn't smoke because I'm an asthmatic that's not going to do much. They will tell me they have a right to smoke, well guess what I have a right to breath clean air. However, I'm always the person who thinks people should have the right to do whatever they want within the context of the law. Who am I to say they should or shouldn't do something? Just like I wouldn't want anyone telling me what to do. Like I said this has been more of a focus on smoking since that's what we've been discussing. I know what side I sit on as far as that issue is concerned. But the deeper the topic the harder for me to figure out who I am. Take abortion for example, I could say the same concept about a person having the right to do whatever within the context of the law, then I'm saying women should be allowed to have an abortion of they want, but I don't think in any situation, unless the mother's life is at risk do I believe a baby should be killed. More than likely it was their fault for getting into that situation. I'm not saying they have to keep the baby and suffer the consequences, but giving it up for adoption is a wonderful alternative. But I feel as I learn more about my opposition I start questioning where I stand. I think thats a good thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment