One womans journey to find herself and make the most out of life






Monday, May 6, 2013

Emergency Room Rendevous

If you've ever read in previous posts, I have talked here and there about my breathing problems. There is no great time for my lungs ever. The change of seasons tends to make it worse. You add allergens floating out and about and well I can't win. Recently the past few weeks I've been having some difficulty breathing but whenever I've gone in to a clinic they tell me my breathing is great. Sure, during the day it usually is, but night after night I've been waking up struggling for air. Some nights it isn't so bad, other nights, like last night require a lot more help.

At around 1045 last night, after I had been asleep for nearly 2 hours. I woke up and was extremely thirsty. I had a little water left in my water bottle took a few sips and thought I'd fall back to sleep. As soon as my head hit the pillow things started to go south. Almost instantaneously I couldn't breath. I was coughing so hard trying to get something out of my lungs. But nothing. If you have ever had asthma you know exactly what I'm talking about. The feeling you will never be able to get oxygen. You grab your emergency inhaler, wait for it to start kicking in, and it doesn't. Minutes go by that feel like hours. Then I decided it was time to head in. I didn't want to because I know the bill will be quiet high. But I'd rather pay $200, than be dead. So off to the ER I went. Doctor confirmed it was an asthma attack, from what? Most likely my allergies. I got a breathing treatment, which I've had plenty of times before. Was flying high as a kite and shaking quite profusely. But it felt good to be able to breathe. It was about 1245 as I was headed out the door when a few EMT's, nurses and an old, scruffy, dirty, drunk man walked down the hall. The drunk had his had down his pants and the nurses were trying to contain their laughter. Apparently, according to my nurse they had bets placed on him, but she couldn't tell me what they were. I told her I don't envy their job. I can just imagine all the crazy people that come in late at night. She said, lets just say you were the first sane person to walk in here tonight.

I got home shortly after 1 and laid in bed with my heart racing like crazy. I'm not sure when I fell asleep, but I woke up way to early and I'm about nearly ready to crash. I'm glad I went and took care of this little problem. I definitely don't prefer it, but it is my life.

Here's to hopefully a healthy rest of the year!

Peace&Love
~l

No comments:

Post a Comment