One womans journey to find herself and make the most out of life






Sunday, October 3, 2010

Arrrr....Matey

I'm not sure how interesting this is going to be, but here goes nothing.

I want to start off a story about pirates. This event happened in my early childhood, around 6 years of age. My family and I went to Disney and we were on the Pirates of the Carribean ride. I wanted nothing more than to get off the ride (even though it was probably really harmless). My parents tell me that I tried to jump off the boat (as if that would have helped me escape). This makes me question if pirates are scary? I've seen and own all 3 Pirates movies and love them. But then again those are movies. I don't think pirates are meant to be scary. Sure they robbed and pillaged and would do whatever it took to get treasure, but honestly who wouldn't?

Many children dress up as a pirate for Halloween and rightly so. They may not be robbing someone of their candy, but they are getting treasure. Here are some interesting things about pirates:

They have a code. I honestly just thought that was something made up. I read the code which has essentially 9 rules. Many of them if not followed result in a beating or death. And to go along with the Pirates movies there are such things as pieces of eight. The jolly roger shown on many pirate flags were meant to show no mercy towards crew/capitan that are captured. There were many different positions held on a pirate ship from the capitan to a powder monkey to a boatswain. They also have their own language so to speak. Ex: I will send you to Davy Jones' Locker aka I will send you to the depths of the sea, where you will meet your death. Most pirate ships were captured out at sea and not built on land and then taken out to sea. Of course there are plenty of famous pirates, who left their mark on the world forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment